Wednesday, June 13, 2007

The Road to Mystery

June 13, 10:40 a.m.

It's probably not a good sign that I've misplaced my to-do lists. I'm about to get to that point in the trip where I just say the hell with it and go with what I've got.

What I've got to drive is no longer a mystery: It's a brand-new silver Pontiac Grand Prix which, when I picked it up, had 12 miles on it. Man, I just remembered why I had such bad associations with this car: It's the same car we had in driver's ed, which I flunked. I'm probably one of the few people in the world who doesn't like new-car smell. I'm sure a few trips to White Castle will cure that.

Someone hit our truck recently, and it's in for bodywork--giving me the opportunity to use the free rental and put some miles on someone else's equipment for a change.

I wish it came with a manual. And a cassette deck. My biggest problem now is figuring out how to power my iPod. And if that's my biggest problem, I'm a very lucky woman.

I'll be on the road within the hour. (Note to self: Find the MapQuest directions you printed out.)

No comments: